monday sketch

sketch of Swedish horse on window sill

No words, just a picture.

, ,

1. #1 by Dawn D on June 20, 2017 - 1:51 am

Hey! I found words!!
    Well, I love the composition of this picture, the point of view you chose to use, and the colour of the horse that recalls the colour of the bookmark.
    Beautiful!

• #2 by Elaine Olund on June 20, 2017 - 12:23 pm

Haha. I love that you found words (you’re very good at that!) Thanks so much 🙂

2. #3 by Chris Gutjahr on June 20, 2017 - 7:16 am

There have been times in my life when I could not speak. My speech would have been filled with sobs and wails…..yet I could see.

• #4 by Elaine Olund on June 20, 2017 - 12:23 pm

Ah yes. There are so many ways of speaking–what is important I think is to express what is…

3. #5 by loganbrightworks on June 20, 2017 - 10:06 am

This is great. Your use of colour and shadow is confident, and contrasts nicely with the scratchy text. Did you have any particular prompt for this image?

• #6 by Elaine Olund on June 20, 2017 - 12:22 pm

Thanks so much for your words! My prompt was essentially a continuation of the day before (when I used a photo of my writing area) as part of a writing prompt. The Swedish horse ended up being a central part of the writing, as it was in the photo–and I decided to look at it with my drawing brain the next day. I love how writing inspires drawing inspires images–back and forth! I look forward to checking out your work soon!

• #7 by loganbrightworks on June 22, 2017 - 10:09 am

Interesting. It’s quite visceral work. Where do you get your prompts from?

• #8 by Elaine Olund on June 22, 2017 - 10:17 am

Thanks, Logan, I’m happy to know it sparked something for you. I appreciate you commenting very much!
        I get prompts from all over, and as a writing workshop leader, I make a lot of prompts up myself. I recommend Natalie Goldberg’s “Old Friend from Far Away” as a great source of prompts that get you to dive into the well of your own past experiences–it’s meant for writing memoir but it is good for all sorts of writing. I am just getting back into my first childhood love: drawing….it’s interesting to apply prompts meant for writing to visual media.

4. #9 by Yamuna on August 9, 2017 - 4:41 am